The personal injury lawyers in Boonton Historic District, NJ, at NJ Injury Guys, present some interesting information about the area's historic preservation.
Located within the town of Boonton is a section that has been preserved of its historic charm. The area's main roadways are Church, Spruce, Birch, and Main Streets.
The Boonton Iron Works mill was a large part of Boonton history. On top of the entrance, in the cupola, was a large bell. The bell would sound for the laborers to know the beginning and end of their shift. It also was used to alert the town of accidents and even fires. The bell sounded it last time on October 16, 1906, when the mill caught fire. The servicemen continued to ring the bell until the fire reached them. The town's women were said to weep when the bell fell from its spot as the flames became too much.
During the 1820s, the fire department used a horse and wagon as the mode of transportation. In 1825 construction on the Morris Canal began. In 1860 the fire department used a goose-neck engine along with a hook and ladder wagon. During the year 1866, the town installed fire hydrants, with the last installed on Main Street at Esli B. Dawson's hardware store. The Presbyterian Church built a large cistern to catch water for fire purposes. In 1891 the department acquired a new hook and ladder truck kept in a barn next to the school. The Boonton Fire Department would be officially established by 1910, including their own building on Boonton Ave in the Historic District.
The first Episcopal sermons were held in a building on Main Street under the Reverand Charles Hoffman. The parish was incorporated just two years later. Fuller, Lord, and Company donated the property on Cedar and Cornelia Street along with $1,000. With a new leader, Reverand Francis Canfield, and a budget of only $3,600, the St. John's Church of Boonton was built. Over the next few years, some updates would be made, such as:
In 1956 the church celebrated 100 years of service to the community and grew by congregational numbers and property size. The Rectory was added, and in 2002, a Memorial Garden was constructed to hold the ashes of the former parishioners.
As many as 19.7% of the area's residents were born outside of the United States. English is the primary language spoken by 72.9%, and others speak Spanish, and close to 3.3% speak Urdu, a language of Pakistan.
The area is moderately an upper-income neighborhood, and only 4.7% of the children have been reported living below the poverty line. The occupational breakdown of the area is the following:
For more information on the area: The History of Rolling Acres, NJ
Our experienced Boonton Historic District, NJ, personal injury lawyers at NJ Injury Guys will work to get you the compensation you deserve. Call us today for a free consultation.
NJ Injury Guys
90 Fanny Rd #2
Boonton, NJ 07005